There’s going to be dozens of players left out in the cold at next week’s NBA draft DaeSean Hamilton Color Rush Jersey , players who will not hear their names called by the time the night is over.

Udonis Haslem knows how they’ll feel.

He also may be the example they’ll need.

Undrafted in 2002, Haslem – a Miami native who has spent his entire NBA career with his hometown Miami Heat – has been in the league longer than just about any other active player. He’s planning and hoping to sign this summer to return for a 16th season, something that was not only unlikely but unthinkable after every team passed when given the chance to secure his services through the draft.

”My mind works differently,” Haslem said. ”I know when one door closes, another door opens. That’s the way it’s always been for me.”

Out of the 57 draft picks that all went ahead of Haslem in 2002, only one – Nene – was on a roster last season. Haslem has outlasted almost everyone who was in the league when he arrived as a rookie in 2003 following a year in France; just 12 players who were in the NBA in 2002-03 remained on rosters this past season.

He’s one of many undrafted success stories in the NBA right now: Utah’s Joe Ingles and Philadelphia’s Robert Covington played huge roles for their respective teams reaching the second round of the playoffs, Miami’s Tyler Johnson is about to see his salary explode to nearly $40 million over the next two seasons, and Boston’s Aron Baynes became a pivotal part of the Celtics‘ rotation this season while appearing in 100 games.

They’re all proof that if there’s enough skill, the NBA will eventually notice.

”UD would never get told no,” his longtime Heat teammate Dwyane Wade said. ”I remember when I came in for my Heat workout before the draft and asked who the guy getting every rebound was and they told me, `That’s Udonis Haslem.’ And I didn’t even recognize him because of how much he’d changed his body. I knew right away that he was a guy I wanted on my team.”

Haslem was an underrated part of all three of Miami’s championship teams in 2006, 2012 and 2013. He barely sees the court anymore, appearing in only 30 games over the last two seasons. But he remains invaluable to the Heat for what he brings to the locker room and from a leadership perspective http://www.raidersauthorizedshops.co...-bryant-jersey , which is why he’ll probably be on Miami’s roster next season – although Thursday, Haslem floated the idea of possibly looking to play in Europe or China if things in Miami don’t work out.

”When you talk about culture and Miami Heat culture, you’re talking about Udonis Haslem,” Heat coach Erik Spoelstra said. ”The way he keeps himself ready, the way he’s always working, the way that he’s a voice in our locker room, he epitomizes what it means to be a Miami Heat player. We tell people all the time, if you want to understand our culture, look at UD. He is our rock. He has the ultimate respect of this locker room.”

It hasn’t been easy. Haslem has reinvented himself more than a few times along the way.

”He impacts winning,” said Oklahoma City coach Billy Donovan, Haslem’s college coach at Florida. ”He knows exactly what goes into winning. He’s a consummate warrior, an unbelievable competitor.”

Haslem was a 300-pounder during his college days at Florida, which explains why he went undrafted; he’s now chiseled Authentic Lamar Jackson Jersey , with nary a speck of visible body fat on his 38-year-old frame. He was terrible with money when he entered the league; he still cringes at particularly wasteful expenditure – an ostrich couch – that he quickly ruined. He not only didn’t open his mail, he didn’t even know where it was being sent.

Today, he’s a budding mogul.

Haslem has ownership of no fewer than 13 franchises – Subway, Auntie Anne’s, Starbucks and Einstein Bros. Bagels among them – in his rapidly growing business portfolio. He’s partnering with Wade on some future projects.

”I’m not complaining. I’m continuing to stay motivated, putting basketball energy into business energy,” Haslem said. ”The things that I deal with are things that I’m engaged in, things I believe in. If I invest in something, I’ve eaten there.”

That’s another lesson for this next generation of NBA players. Haslem has made himself rather wealthy despite never signing what would be considered a massive contract by NBA standards. The most he ever made in a season was just over $7 million – a fortune for most people, yet pretty pedestrian for those who have been in the league this long.

”UD is a great example of what happens if you work,” Heat guard Goran Dragic said. ”That’s how he made a great career.”

Instead of using the long ball to win, the Seattle Mariners took a different approach.

Take a walk, drop down a bunt Alex Cappa Color Rush Jersey , make a play in the field. Employing those basic skills, the Mariners beat the Baltimore Orioles 5-3 Monday night for just their second victory in eight games.

Dee Gordon’s slick seventh-inning bunt was the lone hit in a two-run uprising that put Seattle ahead for good, and the Mariners took advantage of 10 walks to get back on track after losing successive series at Yankee Stadium and in Boston.

”Most definitely, it’s the little things that win ball games and we were trying to do those things tonight,” said left fielder Denard Span, who contributed a solo homer and a run-saving catch. ”Last couple series we weren’t able to do that, but tonight we were able to manufacture a win.”

Gordon gave the Mariners an early lead with a two-run single , then provided the key hit in a seventh inning that began with score tied at 3.

Guillermo Heredia drew a leadoff walk from Miguel Castro (2-3) and advanced when Gordon pushed a bunt inside the first-base line and beat the throw by a step.

”Dee’s a really accomplished bunter, trying to move people along. That’s his game,” manager Scott Servais said.

A walk then loaded the bases, and Heredia scored on a wild pitch before Gordon scooted home on a sacrifice fly by Mitch Haniger.

”We drew a lot of walks, went deep into counts, bunts Jeff Locke Color Rush Jersey , sac flies,” Servais said. ”Been doing that most of the season. That’s the way we’re built. We don’t want to rely just on the home runs.”

Backed by several fine defensive plays – most notably by shortstop Jean Segura – Seattle starter Felix Hernandez (7-6) earned his first win in four starts, allowing three runs in six innings.

Edwin Diaz worked the ninth for his major league-leading 28th save.

Jonathan Schoop homered and had two RBIs for the Orioles.

In the ninth inning, Baltimore reliever Darren O’Day was called for a balk and subsequently ejected by home plate umpire Stu Scheurwater for arguing. Manager Buck Showalter joined the fray, and earned his 32nd career ejection .

”He’s just over-umpiring. Inventing an argument,” Showalter insisted, pointing out that both of Day’s career balks have been called by Scheurwater.

The manager did, however, concede that the Orioles didn’t do enough to win.

”We walked 10 guys. Did have but four hits,” Showalter said. ”Kind of hard to win a game.”

Seattle jumped on top in the second inning when Orioles starter Andrew Cashner gave up three walks and Gordon’s bases-loaded single.

Schoop led off the fifth with his eighth home run, only the second long ball allowed by Hernandez in five starts this month.

Span answered with a solo shot in the sixth for a 3-1 lead, but Baltimore pulled even in the bottom half on run-scoring grounders by Trey Mancini and Schoop.

GOOD NEWS, BAD NEWS

Seattle slugger Nelson Cruz was chosen AL Player of the Week after hitting .500 with 3 HRs and 8 RBIs.

”It was a good week http://www.eaglesauthorizedshops.com...rodgers-jersey ,” Cruz said. ”Unfortunately, we only won once in seven games.”

TRAINER’S ROOM

Mariners: Segura was back in the starting lineup Monday after missing four games with an arm infection. … C Mike Zunino, who’s been bothered by a sore right thumb and slumping at the plate, was replaced in the starting lineup by Chris Herrmann.

Orioles: Returning from a two-month stay on the disabled list, Tim Beckham went 0 for 4. … RHP Dylan Bundy twisted his ankle running the bases but is still projected to make his next start Thursday. … RHP Chris Tillman (lower back strain) gave up two runs in 3 1/3 innings for Class A Delmarva in the second game of his rehab assignment. … Mancini played despite having ”a real bad sore throat,” according to Showalter.

UP NEXT

Mariners: James Paxton (6-2, 3.72 ERA), the starter Tuesday night in the second game of the series, has allowed 10 runs over 7 1/3 innings in his last two starts.

Orioles: Kevin Gausman (3-6, 4.38) is winless in seven starts since May 11.